Monday, August 29, 2011

A new (OK, minutely altered) direction

This is my 100th post on this blog. I had hoped to celebrate the occasion (such as it is) with a post of actual substance that would provide a natural segue into this announcement (such as it is), but I haven't finished, or for that matter started, the book around which that post was to be written.  I haven't done much reading at all in the past month, and what little there has been has fallen outside the purview of this blog, even its expanded purview. Which is where the announcement comes in.

Despite the recent set of George R. R. Martin reviews, I've always thought of this as a "horror" rather than a "fantasy" blog, to the extent that those are distinctions worth pursuing. But rereading A Song of Ice and Fire seems to have put me on a "fantasy" kick, and I want to review that reading here rather than elsewhere.  So the scope of this blog now includes fantasy without major elements that are dark or weird or strange or supernatural or whatever the hell you want to call it.

My next review will, I think, be of Chris Adrian's literary fantasy The Great Night. Beyond that, I have plans for R. Scott Bakker's The Darkness That Comes Before, the new Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror, and Tanith Lee's Secret Books of Paradys series.  A recent trip to the Borders liquidation sale has given me a large pile of new books to read and review; the question is how long it'll take me to get that.

No comments:

Post a Comment